A healthier version of pizza?! Sign me up! This recipe is made with a whole wheat crust, a light sauce, less cheese, and garden-fresh zucchini. All of these things add up to a healthier pizza that still tastes amazing. Don’t skip the lemon juice at the end for a bright finish to this savory pizza. Trust me—you and your family will want to put this pizza on your list of favorite meals!
Recipe Type: Pizza
Serving Size: 1 personal pizza
Makes 4 servings
- ½ medium zucchini
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ⅛ white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons basil
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ freshly squeezed lemon juice\
For the crust:
- 1½ tablespoons yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½–2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Begin by making the crust.
- Add yeast and warm water into a mixer. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using a dough hook, mix in sugar, salt, garlic powder, basil, oil, and flour. Start with 1½ cups flour, start mixing, and add more flour gradually until the dough forms a ball around the hook, and the sides of the bowl are clean. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and knead for 5 minutes, then allow to rest another 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into four equal balls. Roll out until round and about ¼–½ inch thick, depending on your preferences.
- Place on a hot pizza stone or greased cookie sheet. Poke with a fork to prevent bubbling.
- Bake 7 minutes.
- While crust is baking, mix together olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Use mandolin to thinly slice zucchini.
- Brush the pizza crust with olive oil and garlic. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan, zucchini, onion, basil, and pepper.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes. Broil for about 1 minute to brown the top slightly.
- After removing, sprinkle the lemon juice over the pizza. Cool slightly and enjoy!
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||430 (160 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||53g (8g dietary fiber, 5g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.