The combination of strawberries and rhubarb makes a delicious muffin! Strawberries provide lots of vitamin C, while rhubarb provides vitamin K. By using a variety of flours, we were able to create a mixture of nutrients that includes protein, fiber, and healthy fats, while maintaining a great texture. You’ll really enjoy this sweet breakfast treat!
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Makes 18 servings
- 2 cups whole grain spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup flax meal
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ cups chopped rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Cut and prepare the strawberries and rhubarb. Toss with the lemon juice, then set aside.
- Grease a muffin tin and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients (spelt flour, almond meal, oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the applesauce, honey, and milk.
- Slowly pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Fill prepared muffin tins ¾ full and bake for 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||140 (30 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||25g (4g dietary fiber, 10g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.