For the pie crust
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup very cold water
- 2 cups dates
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and combine with a fork until the mixture can form a ball.
- Lightly flour some plastic wrap, then place the dough on top. Flatten out dough. Cover with plastic wrap, then place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove dough from fridge. Roll out on a floured surface to ⅛ thickness.
- Place dough in a 9-inch pie pan, then trim the edges.
- Bake on a baking sheet for twenty minutes until dough sets.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling.
- In a food processor place the dates, brown sugar, salt, rum extract, vanilla, and beaten eggs.
- Once the dates have turned into a paste, transfer them to a medium bowl.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spread out the filling evenly in the pie dish.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes. If edges start to get dark, cover with aluminum foil.
- Cool, then slice into 16 slices.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||250 (140 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||28g (4g dietary fiber, 15g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.