This one-skillet dish has eggs poached in a delicious tomato and pepper stew. While it’s a great meal for breakfast, if you love eating breakfast for dinner like I do, this is the perfect leap for a full breakfast-made-into-dinner meal. It is typically served with crusty bread of pitas to soak up the sauce, but can be eaten plain. If I am having it for breakfast, I often serve it with toast, if I am having it for dinner, I often add a green salad to the side. I love that it is also a one-skillet meal, so there are very few dishes that require cleaning once you are done!
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Serving Size: 1 egg with sauce
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large, cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil, onion, and bell pepper.
- Cook until the onion is golden brown, then add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, including the juices, to the pan.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Cook until the tomatoes are slightly thickened.
- Make six wells, then crack the eggs into them.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until eggs are done to your liking.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and cilantro, if desired.
- Serve with crusty bread or pita, if desired.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||220 (120 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||14g (2g dietary fiber, 6g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.