I love pizza, but white crust and cheese just doesn’t do it for me. I like to have lots of toppings, and one of my all-time favorites is arugula. You might think that salad on top of a pizza is weird, but it adds veggies and a nice crunch. The arugula in this recipe especially adds a wonderful peppery flavor that pairs with pesto perfectly. Trust me on this one—it’ll become a new favorite!
Pesto Arugula Pizza
Recipe Type: Pizza
Serving Size: 2 slices
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup Homemade Pesto
- 1 pre-made 100% whole wheat, thin pizza crust
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 ounces chicken, grilled and sliced
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups arugula
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cups basil, loosely packed
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, blend basil, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and salt.
- Slowly pour in olive oil while blending until everything is well incorporated and smooth.
- Top pizza with pesto, tomatoes, chicken, and cheese. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes until the cheese melts and crust gets crispy.
- Toss arugula with lemon and sprinkle on top of warm pizza. Slice and enjoy!
*Leftover pesto can be stored, covered, in the freezer for weeks or in the fridge for 3 days.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||450 (210 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||38g (7g dietary fiber, 5g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.