This sweet muffin’s secret ingredient is spinach! My toddler loves ‘em, not only for the fun, green color, but also the sweet, cinnamon flavor. My favorite part is that these muffins freeze well, so they’re an easy, go-to breakfast for those crazy mornings.
Mean Green Muffins
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Makes 9 servings
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together applesauce, egg, vanilla, spinach, sugar, and oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the wet spinach mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. This mixture will be dense enough to spoon batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*These freeze well, too! Double the recipe and freeze for future breakfasts or snacks.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||140 (35 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||24g (3g dietary fiber, 9g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.