At iFit, we believe that carrot cake is a treat that deserves to be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of dietary restrictions! Getting gluten-free products to have the right texture and flavor in baking can be a little tricky, but I think we nailed this one. We used a combination of rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum to make sure it wasn’t too crumbly or gummy, and to ensure that moist, spongy cake texture. Frost with our Skinny Cream Cheese Frosting for a delectable treat!
Gluten-free Carrot Cake
Recipe Type: Dessert
Serving Size: 1 piece
Makes 9 servings
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- ⅓ cup toasted and chopped pecans
- Grease and flour an 8×8” cake pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer until they’re pale yellow. Add the honey and beat for an additional two minutes.
- Add the coconut oil and applesauce and continue to beat until blended.
- Gently and carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the grated carrots and nuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then cut into 9 pieces.
- Frost with our Skinny Cream Cheese Frosting, if desired.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||230 (90 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||35g (2g dietary fiber, 16g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.