Falafel is a delicious, chickpea patty that is flavored with parsley and spices. You can have it in a gyro, on top of a salad, or on its own dipped in a creamy tzatziki sauce. Falafel is typically deep fried, but our version is pan fried so that it still has that delicious crispy texture but it isn’t covered in oil. Falafel is a quick, meatless meal.
Recipe Type: Vegan
Serving Size: 2 falafels
Makes 8 servings
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 small onion
- ½ bunch parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place all ingredients into the food processor, except the olive oil, and blend until smooth. If needed, add a little water to blend better.
- Transfer to a bowl, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. You may skip this step, but they will be a bit more fragile while cooking.
- Take the batter and form into 16 equal, small patties.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, place the falafel in the pan in batches, making sure there is space between them.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until it is a golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside. Heat up more oil and cook the remaining falafel.
- Serve the falafel warm in a gyro with your favorite toppings, in a salad, or by itself with a creamy tzatziki sauce.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||230 (90 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||29g (7g dietary fiber, 5g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.