- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced (more if you like it spicy)
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 5 cups whole wheat bread, cut into chunks and dried overnight (about half a loaf)
- 5 cups sourdough bread, cut into chunks and dried overnight (about half a loaf)
- 2 tablespoons butter, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminium foil, then cover with nonstick spray.
- Spread out the bread chunks onto the cookie sheet into a single layer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes to make sure that the bread is completely dried out.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Leave the oven on.
- In a large stockpot, cook the bacon, onion, celery, jalapeño, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- After the bacon is cooked through, add the chicken stock and simmer.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, pepper jack cheese, and bacon mixture.
- Add the hot broth mixture to the bowl with the bread and toss until the liquid is absorbed.
- Cover a cookie sheet in foil, then cover with nonstick spray.
- Transfer the stuffing to the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the butter over the top.
- Cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove tin foil, then bake for an additional 20 minutes.
|NUTRITIONAL INFO||PER SERVING|
|Calories||150 (80 from fat)|
|Carbohydrate||13g (1g dietary fiber, 2g sugar)|
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.