Skip the fast food lines. Ditch the extra calories.
Tired of feeling guilty all afternoon after that insanely greasy hamburger and side of fries? Are you so busy that you don’t have time to prepare something healthy the night before?
Well, worry no more. I’ve gathered six quick and healthy recipes that are perfect for lunch on the go. Each one is so yummy, you won’t regret ditching the extra calories in your old lunches.
Monkey Wraps (1 wrap)
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 whole wheat tortilla
1 teaspoon honey (agave for vegan)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 banana, peeled
1. Spread the almond butter onto the tortilla. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
2. Place the banana on one end of the tortilla and wrap it up!
*One of our nutrition team’s favorite, because they’re filling and easy to make.
Crunchy Ham and Apple Sandwich (1 sandwich)
2 slices whole grain bread
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
½ sweet apple, thinly sliced
½ cup arugula
1 ounce Muenster cheese
2 ounces deli ham
1. Spread the Dijon mustard on one slice of bread. Drizzle honey on top.
2. Layer the rest of the ingredients and place the other bread slice on top. Enjoy cold or cook in a panini press until cheese is melted.
Kale Conversion Bowl (7 servings)
4 cups kale, chopped
2 cups carrots, shredded
⅔ cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce (gluten free if needed)
⅓ cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 cup shredded almonds
2 cups quinoa
¼ cup tahini sauce
1. Mix kale and carrots in a large bowl and set aside.
2. Mix teriyaki sauce, water, garlic, and ginger together. Then add almonds and let soak.
3. Cook quinoa. This can be done in a rice cooker or on the stove. If on the stove, add 2 cups of rinsed quinoa and 4 cups of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Fluff and add 4 cups to the kale and carrots.
4. Add sauce and soaked almonds to the kale mixture and stir thoroughly.
5. Add tahini sauce and mix again until well incorporated.
6. Enjoy at room temperature.
Grilled Chicken Summer Pasta (8 servings)
1 pound whole wheat pasta
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 pound grilled and sliced chicken breast
2 cups corn
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
4 cups arugula
½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
1. Cook the pasta. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a large skillet. Add the tomatoes, chicken, corn, and Cajun seasoning. Cook for two minutes.
3. Add pasta. Then toss in the arugula.
4. Cook until the arugula begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
5. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Chicken Pad Thai Salad (5 servings)
8 cups green cabbage, shredded
2 cups carrots, shredded
¾ cup green onions, chopped
¾ cup raw peanuts, chopped
2 grilled and sliced chicken breasts
1 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained
¾ cup cilantro
2 batches Pad Thai Dressing*
1. Shred/chop vegetables.
2. Toss all ingredients together with dressing and enjoy.
3. Best served immediately, but will stay good in the fridge for 1–2 days.
*Pad Thai Dressing
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
½–1 tablespoon sriracha
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
½ tablespoon light olive oil
1. Juice limes.
2. Mix all ingredients together until incorporated.
Mango Avocado Steak Salad (1 serving)
4 ounces grilled sirloin steak
¼ avocado, sliced
½ mango, sliced
¼ cup green onions
4 cups leafy greens
2 tablespoons Jalapeño Vinaigrette*
1. Slice grilled steak into thin strips.
2. Slice avocado and mango. Chop green onions.
3. Place all ingredients on top of leafy greens in a bowl.
4. Toss with dressing. Enjoy!
1 jalapeño pepper
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon lime zest
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon water
⅓ cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Remove the top and seeds from the jalapeño.
2. Chop the jalapeño coarsely and add to a small bowl or cup.
3. Mince cilantro and add to the jalapeño.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and blend with the chop attachment on an immersion blender until smooth.
Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
WARNING: This post is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional. The above information should not be used to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease or medical condition. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet, sleep methods, daily activity, or fitness routine. iFit assumes no responsibility for any personal injury or damage sustained by any recommendations, opinions, or advice given in this article.