The perfect dish for dinner, from our friends at Whole Foods
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour, divided
- 1 cup sweet potato purée, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), cubed
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups frozen chopped leafy greens, such as kale, spinach or collard greens
- 3 cups frozen mixed peas and carrots
- 2 cups frozen yellow or white corn
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a (6-quart) slow cooker, vigorously whisk together broth, 1/2 cup of the flour, 1/4 cup of the sweet potato purée, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Stir in potatoes, chicken, onion, leafy greens, and cook on the low setting, stirring occasionally until thickened, fragrant and very tender, about 8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Stir peas and carrots and corn into the slow cooker and cook for 30 minutes more.
Meanwhile make the biscuits. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, remaining 3/4 cup sweet potato purée and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in remaining 1 cup flour, cornmeal and baking soda, just until combined. Drop onto a large, parchment-paper-lined baking sheet to form 12 biscuits. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20 minutes. (Biscuits will puff, spread and bake together.)
When ready to serve, stir parsley into pot pie mixture and salt to taste. Spoon into bowls. Top each serving with a sweet potato biscuit.
Per Serving: 230 calories (25 from fat), 3g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 13g protein