An easy, healthy and very tasty tomato soup made from fresh ingredients.
- 5 large whole tomatoes
- 20 basil leaves
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium onions
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Quarter tomatoes, remove seeds and place skin side down in a lightly-oiled pan. Roast in the oven until they’re soft, maybe 45 minutes. A little bit of browning is good, but not too much.
- When the tomatoes are almost ready to come out, chop onions. Mince garlic. Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Chop the basil, reserving a few leaves for garnish. Add the rest of the ingredients to the onions and garlic. Simmer for about ten minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Puree with a hand blender. If you’d like a smoother soup you can strain it.
- Season to taste. Serve with a garnish of basil leaves.
- Note: this is a fabulous “canvas” recipe that can be altered as the mood strikes by adding various herbs and spices. For a fancier presentation you could add a dollop or swirl of creme fraiche or sour cream before serving. If you’re sodium-conscious, use low-sodium stock. If you prefer a vegetarian version, use vegetable stock instead.