The perfect summer dish from our friends at Whole Foods
- 10 asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces, cooked and rinsed in cold water
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, (optional)
While preparing asparagus, heat broth to a simmer in a small covered pot and hold there. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add 1/2 cup simmering broth while stirring constantly, shaking pan forward and back as you do, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup more broth and repeat the process. Continue repeating until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy and loose, about 20 minutes more. (Reserve any remaining broth for another use.)
Remove pot from heat and stir in 1/3 cup cheese, asparagus and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer risotto to bowls and garnish with remaining cheese and chives. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: 350 calories (110 from fat), 12g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 15g protein