The perfect side to any dish from our friends at Whole Foods
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add rice and toast, stirring often, until opaque, about 2 minutes. Carefully add 3 cups water, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover pot and simmer, without uncovering or stirring, until rice is almost tender and liquid is just absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff rice with a fork. Set aside.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the cilantro, garlic, onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper and stir well. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add reserved rice, beans and 1/3 cup of the reserved liquid (discard remaining liquid), and Worcestershire sauce. Stir gently to coat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in remaining 4 tablespoons cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Transfer rice and beans to bowls and serve.
Per Serving: 310 calories (100 from fat), 11g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 780mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (9g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 9g protein