Ad delicious and healthy snack from our friends at Whole Foods
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 bunches green or red curly kale
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk, almondmilk or ricemilk, or water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onion or leek
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Soak cashews in enough water to cover for a couple of hours or overnight. Drain.
Preheat oven to 275°F. Wash, stem and thoroughly dry kale, tearing it into large pieces. Set aside.
In a blender, purée soaked cashews, soymilk, nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, basil, sage and salt. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, lightly coat kale leaves with cashew sauce and spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until crisp, gently turning over about halfway through cooking. You can also use a dehydrator to dry the chips. Remove from baking sheets and repeat with any remaining kale leaves and cashew sauce. Cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
PER SERVING: 160 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 9g protein