Enjoy Chai Tea made from your home, from our friends at Whole Foods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 whole green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 single-serve black tea bags or 1 tablespoon loose black tea
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
Place cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and 3 cups water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let steep for 10 minutes.
Return pot to the heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea, cover and set aside to let steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, then return liquid to the pot. Stir in sugar and milk and heat over low heat for 1 minute. Pour into cups and serve.
Per Serving: Serving size: about 1 cup, 50 calories (5 from fat), 0.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0g dietary fiber, 10g sugar), 2g protein