Broccoli, Rice and Cheese all in one recipe…oh my. Enjoy this delicious casserole from our friends at Whole Foods
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 (15-ounce) can regular or gluten-free ready-to-eat (not condensed) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Grease a 7- x 11-inch baking dish with olive oil cooking spray; set aside.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring often, until translucent and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Set pot aside off of the heat for 5 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add cooked rice, then stir in soup, 1/2 cup of the cheese, salt and pepper.
Transfer rice mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese evenly over the top. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 230 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 8g protein