The treadmill is an extremely useful and efficient piece of fitness equipment that builds great cardio endurance and strength. However, it can start to feel a little mundane and even boring after so much repetition of the same thing day in and day out. And by the same thing I mean running or walking. Don’t get me wrong, those are both great ways to exercise, but it’s nice to try something new too.
So are you ready to get more out of your treadmill workout? Switch up you normal routine with these 10 treadmill tricks:
1. Skip/Back Skip-Skip facing forward, then turn around and switch to a skip facing backwards. Make sure you’re getting your legs up high.
2. Side Shuffle-Shuffle on the side leading with your right leg, and then switch to shuffle on the other side leading with your left leg.
3. High Knees/Back High Knees-Face forward getting your knees up high, pulling them up towards your chest. Then turn around and switch to high knees facing backwards.
4. Forward lunge/Reverse lunge-Lunge forward and extend your legs out in front of you. Then switch to a reverse lunge while facing forward, but extend your legs out behind you.
5. Squat Jumps-Get into a squat position and jump forward. Then turn around and squat jump back.
6. Single leg hops-Hop on your right leg, then switch to hop on your left leg.
7. Butt kickers-Kick your heels back all the way till they hit your butt.
8. Run on balls of feet-This one is pretty self explanatory. Run on the balls of your feet and get those calves burning!
9. Hopscotch-Hop from two feet to just your right foot to two feet again and then to just your left foot. Repeat.
10. Baby squat steps forward-Get into squat position and take baby steps forward, never leaving your squat position.
Remember to set the speed and resistance based on what you can handle. It’s better to start off slow and then work up to a faster pace. Perform each exercise for one minute, and then repeat the entire routine 1-2 more times.